There are three main areas of graduate student programming currently offered through the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology: our Graduate Student Program, the support we offer departmental TA Training Programs, and our Certificate Program in Advanced Teaching and Learning.
- Our Graduate Student Program consists of workshops, seminars, and one-on-one coaching on teaching and related topics (see list below).
- The support we offer for departmental TA Training Programs ranges from consultation on proposals for the TA Training Fund, to offering customized sessions on various teaching topics.
- The Certificate Program in Advanced Teaching and Learning is a 1.5 year cohort program with a practicum and mentoring components, and a Scholarship in Teaching and Learning component. The program is intended for Teaching Assistants wishing to prepare for a career in teaching and learning in higher education. This program re-launched in September 2015. The Certificate Program in Advanced Teaching and Learning is open to all graduate students who have completed an Instructional Skills Workshop and will remain students at UBC for the 1.5 year duration of the program. The deadline to apply for the Certificate Program in Advanced Teaching and Learning 2016-2017 cohort is May 31, 2016. Please apply here. UPDATE: Registration for the 2016-2017 program is now closed. If you are interested in applying for the 2017-2018 program e-mail: email@example.com
- Please note that for the 2016-17 certificate program, there is a one-time program fee of $500 when you are accepted to the program.
- For any questions you might have about Certificate Program in Advanced Teaching and Learning, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Graduate Student Program
Our Graduate Student Program offers the following professional development opportunities that may assist graduate students with building teaching skills.
- Instructional Skills Workshops (ISW)
- Graduate Peer Review of Teaching Program
- Graduate Peer Review of Presentations Program
- Grad/TA Institute - Series of workshop offered during the reading break in winter term
- Faculty-TA program (Coming Soon) - In this program, we offer opportunities for TAs to explore strategies to build a harmonious and rewarding professional relationship with the faculty member they work with.
- Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning at UBC
Registration information is available on the CTLT Events website.
Other CTLT Programs Open to Graduate Students
In addition to our graduate student-specific programs, CTLT offers other professional development opportunities that are open to graduate students and we encourage you to explore them.
Other Graduate Student Programs at UBC
The Faculty of Graduate Studies (FoGPS) leads the Graduate Pathways to Success (GPS) program. It is a palette of non-credit workshops, seminars and other activities designed to complement your graduate program’s academic curriculum and mentorship experience. FoGPS has also compiled a listing of electronic resources for graduate school success, available here.