- Field-tested Learning Assessment Guide for Science, Math, Engineering and Technology Instructors
- Description: "Succinct, self-contained, self-instructional, web-based modules that introduce a broadly applicable range of techniques” for use in college or university courses.
- URL: http://www.flaguide.org/
- Classroom Assessment Techniques by the National Teaching and Learning Forum
- Description: Provides an introduction to CATs, a description of how to use them, and an explanation of why to use them. Examples of eight different types of CATs are provided for collecting feedback on student learning and responses to teaching.
- URL: http://www.ntlf.com/html/lib/bib/assess.htm
- Classroom Assessment Techniques by the Centre for Excellence in Learning and Teaching at Iowa State University
- Description: Introduces CATs, outlines their multiple uses and shows different types.
- URL: http://www.celt.iastate.edu/teaching/cat.html
- Constructing Exams and Tests
- Learner Centred Assessment
- Peer Review of Teaching
- Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition
- Self Evaluation of Teaching
- Student Evaluation of Teaching
- Teaching Goals Inventory
- Teaching Portfolio
Constructing Exams and Tests
- Test Construction - Center for Teaching Excellence, University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey
- Tips on constructing multiple choice questions, essay items, and short-answer items. Some examples (of what not to do) are provided.
Learner Centred Assessment
Peer Review of Teaching
- Peer Review of Teaching Project - University of Nebraska, Lincoln
- Provides a sample of documents used in peer review, portfolio examples, a description of the peer consultation process, a newsletter and links to additional resources.
- Peer Evaluation of Teaching - Flinders University
- Intended to help instructors clarify their purposes for participating in peer review of teaching
- Peer Review of Teaching for Promotion Purposes - Australian Learning and Teaching Council
- An excellent site with resources that can be used and modified by your department/institution. The focus is on summative peer review, but many resources are highly suitable for formative review.
- The Teaching and Learning Office - Ryerson University
- Terrific list of links to other resources.
Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition
- Creating Rubrics: Tools You Can Use - Linda Starr, Education World
- Explains how rubrics can guide students and support instructor assessments. Included: Three online tools for creating rubrics.
- Rubrics and Rubric Makers - teAchnology
- A wealth of rubric tools – easy to customize and practical.
- Teacher Helpers: Assessment & Rubric Information - Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators
- Explore for a wide range of example rubrics and how to articles.
Self Evaluation of Teaching
- Self-Evaluation - Monash University
- Tools to use and questions to pose in the self-evaluation of teaching.
- Peer Observation of Teaching - University College of Dublin
- Presents techniques for self-evaluation of teaching
Student Evaluation of Teaching
- Some Resources on Student Evaluation of Teaching - Russell A. Hunt, St. Thomas University
- List of books and articles (last updated December 2002) about student evaluations of teaching.
- Student Evaluation of Teaching: Methodological Critique - Robert Sproule
- This paper outlines two arguments that “challenge those who would advocate a continuation of the exclusive use of raw SET data in the determination of ‘teaching effectiveness’ in the ’summative” function’”. The paper also seeks to answer the question: “In the face of such challenges, why do university administrators continue to use these data exclusively in the determination of ‘teaching effectiveness’?”
Teaching Goals Inventory
- Teaching Goals Inventory - Centre for Teaching, University of Iowa
- Take the Teaching Goals Inventory online and automatically see your scores.
The terms teaching portfolio and teaching dossier can be used interchangeably.
- electronicportfolios.org - Dr. Helen Barrett
- Dr. Helen Barrett, internationally-known expert on Electronic Portfolio Development, has a wealth of information on her site.
- Guideline on Compiling a Teaching Dossier - University of Calgary
- Teaching Portfolio Sources General information only how to prepare, organize and the material to include in a portfolio.
- Portfolio Resources - Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology, University of British Columbia
- See the Course Portfolio section for an extensive list of questions to guide faculty in creating their own teaching portfolio.