In partnership with both individuals and UBC units, we apply a research-informed approach to support a complete development and renewal cycle for both individual courses and programs/specializations from design, through implementation, to evaluation. We provide support for all course modalities (face-to-face, technology-enhanced, flipped, blended/hybrid, and online) with specialized support for blended, online, and distance education courses.
Consultation and Support
We provide consultation related to:
- New course/program development, course/program redesign, and changes to course/program modality;
- Evaluation and assessment planning for courses, course components, programs, and projects;
- The selection, integration, and use of instructional strategies and learning technologies to enhance all course modalities;
- The development of Senate or Faculty curriculum proposals, at both the course and program level;
- Editorial and quality review of online courses using research based criteria, including course accessibility for students with disabilities (using W3C standards);
- Proposals seeking both internal and external funding for SoTL projects; and
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) projects including the use and development of novel technologies, tools, resources, and pedagogies.
Development and Implementation
We provide design, development, and implementation support for:
- Development of new, or the renewal of, existing courses/program including defining intended outcomes, outlining course/program structures, and implementing assessment and teaching strategies;
- Transformation of courses/programs into flipped, blended, or online learning contexts;
- Development of customized resources and tools to support teaching and learning in online and blended environments, facilitate evaluation and research projects, and guide Faculty curriculum initiatives;
- Department or Faculty wide curriculum or course redesign initiatives;
- Customized training on topics such as instructional design, online course design, teaching online, program assessment, and curriculum renewal (curriculum retreats);
- Development of media and learning resources to support student learning; and
- Project management to facilitate course/program design and development.
Research and Evaluation
We provide support for:
- Research and evaluation through consultation, training, resource development, and development and support of a data infrastructure;
- The collection, analysis, and sharing of data to inform the evaluation of student learning, efficacy of technology or teaching practices, and course/program renewal; and
- The dissemination of research-based best practices on teaching and learning both within UBC and beyond.
Along with providing support, we also:
- Identify research-based practices and innovations with potential to support increased student engagement and academic achievement at UBC, work with faculty to document the application across disciplines at UBC, and share the outcomes of this work; and
- Provide funding for SoTL research through the SoTL Seed Fund and Travel Grant.